Arrowehouse Farm was just outside the township of Upton, on the corner of Arrowe Park Road and Arrowebrook Road, in the township of Arrowe, although the land belonging to the farm extended to Greasby Road within the township of Upton. The farm had a total of 153 acres of land.
On Monday, 20th October 1862, fire broke out in the stack-yard. About 20 large stacks of hay and corn were piled close together, and as there was a gale blowing it was feared that the whole farm would be destroyed. Birkenhead Police Station was alerted and an engine and hose were despatched. They arrived at the farm at about 10.00pm, an hour after the fire had started. It took until 8.00am the following morning to put out the fire. The farm's workers and local police officers managed to prevent the fire spreading to the house and outbuildings by moving the stacks nearest to the buildings. At the height of the fire the glare of the flames could be seen in Liverpool and in parts of Cheshire. The cost of the damage was around £1,000.
During the second world war, about 27½ acres of the farm's land were requisitioned by the War Department, 6 acres of this was returned, in very poor condition, in 1956.
In June 1953 Birkenhead Council produced a Development Plan in which the Upton Bypass was proposed, this new road would cut through the land belonging to Arrowehouse farm. The land to the north of this new road, about 21 acres, was zoned for residential housing in the Development Plan.
In 1957, Birkenhead Corporation proposed a change to the Development Plan to re-zone around 35 acres of the land to the south of the new road for industrial development. The landowner, Lord Leverhulme, and the tenant farmer, Mr Adams, both objected to the proposal on the grounds that the remaining land would not be sufficient for the farm to be viable. The proposal went to a public enquiry, and on 25th September 1958, The Minister of Housing and Local Government turned down the Corporations proposal to amend the Development Plan.
The success was, however, short lived. In the early 1960’s Arrowehouse farm was demolished and Champion Spark Plugs’ factory was built on the land. A science park was developed next to the factory along Arrowebrook Road.
The remaining 50 acres of land from the War Department land to the Upton By-pass became known as Upton Meadow. In 1982 the ‘Friends of Upton Meadow’ was formed to protect the ancient meadowland from development. Despite strong local protests, 14 acres of Upton Meadow were sold to Sainsbury’s for a supermarket.
Finally, in March 1997, Wirral Borough Council granted a 99 year lease on the remaining 36 acres to national charity The Woodland Trust.
Do you have any pictures of Upton, or of events in and around Upton either old or not so old?
Do you have any documents, newspaper cuttings or other information relating to Upton or the surrounding area?
Do you have any stories about Upton or the surrounding area?